Jonathan in It'ly

Friday, April 28, 2006

Half a report, the other half thoughts

This is a really long post.

Its another rainy day. I got up at 5:20 and made a lil' breakfast of Potates, sausage, carrots and tomatoes (and a tiny can of pear juice) in time to talk with Gillian for a while. For some reason which hasn't been explained to me yet, the Italian transportation employees (i.e., bus and train drivers) have scheduled strikes. sometimes its for a specified amount of time, other times no one knows how long it will last. Sometimes it is just the drivers of one particular bus number. Today it was from 8am-4pm involved most of the buses including the one I take to and from the Church. Fortunately the Senior missionaries at the Church warned me about it yesterday so I planned to leave my place around 7:30 to ensure I didn't have to walk. I'm a lazy American, would I ever want to WALK? JK, I'm not lazy but it would have taken about 1.5hrs to walk the distance each way. PLUS I took my laundry (Yes, mom, I finally have clean clothes) and that would have been an extra pain. It was inconvenient enough as it was trying to crowd onto the bus this afternoon! I've never seen it so full! It was as though no one could handle the fact that the buses weren't running all day, and so for the first hour after the strike they had to GET ON just to reassure themselves that all was right in the world. That's one way to overcome your fear of people and make friends. I don't think the old lady I was smushed into liked me very much...

Anyway, I practiced 5.5 hrs today. Yippee.

A few days ago Gillian gave me a speech about how most of the world will not survive a cataclysmic event because we are so antiseptic that we have no natural immunity to a lot of otherwise common germs. The germs will kill us all. Well, I am finding out that I must either have a natural immunity already or am getting one fast. Or maybe the cockroaches just aren't that germy. I guess they probably aren't really cockroaches because they don't run fast at all and are pretty small. But there's lots of em and they come out in the dark. Last night they were inspecting how well I washed the dishes, which was thoughtful of them but also made me rewash. So, mom, I am building my health AND getting lots of practice cleaning...oh, AND exercise: picking up my foot and putting down hard, over and over and over.

I just finished reading "Memoirs of Hadrian" by Marguerite Yourcenar. It was written in 1951. Originally french, the translation is AMAZING. Really interesting, poetic language. The book is in the form of a letter from Hadrian (Emperor of Rome around 100AD) to his adopted grandson, Marcus Aurelius. Its pretty interesting, but dark and kind of gross in places. Its interesting because the author obviously researched TONS and so the details are pretty believable; even his personality is believable. He is portrayed as a totally amoral person, yet very thoughtful, artistic, and wise- in the sense that he was willing to call his own mistakes, not live solely for himself, and try to do as much stabalization for the empire as possible. Apparently the empire reached its largest point during his reign? Anyway, he also was homosexual and amoral. there are some very interesting passages about Judaism which is obviously applicable to Christianity. Here's one, Hadrian telling at the end of his life the story of the many year war with Israel before they were subdued for the 2nd or maybe 3rd time. (for those of you who feel obligated to read everything I write, umm, if you aren't interested, don't read)-

"As I said, nothing in all that was beyond repair, but the hatred, the mutual contempt, and the rancor were so. In principle, Judaism has its place among the religions of the empire; in practice, Israel has refused for centuries to be one people among many others, with one god among the gods. The most primitive Dacians know that their Zalmoxis is called Jupiter in Rome; the Egyptians, though so pround of their myths some thousands of years old, are willing to see in Osiris a Bacchus with funeral attributes; harsh Mithra admits himself brother to Apollo. No people but Israel has the arrogance to confine truth wholly within the narrow limits of a single conception of the divine, thereby insulting the manifold nature of the Deity, who contains all; no other god has inspired his worshipers with disdain and hatred for those who pray at different altars. I was only the more anxious to make Jerusalem a city like the others, where several races and several beliefs could live in peace; but I was wrong to forget that in any combat between fanaticism and common sense the latter has rarely the upper hand. The clergy of the ancient city were scandalized by the opening of schools where Greek literature was taught; the rabbi Joshua, a pleasant, learned man with whom I had frequently conversed in Athens, but who was trying to excuse himself to his people for his foreign culture and his relations with us, now ordered his disciples not to take up such profane studies unless they could find an hour which was neither day nor night, since Jewish law must be studied night and day. Ismael, an important member of the Sanhedrin, who supposedly adhered to the side of Rome, let his nephew Ben-Dama die rather than accept the services of the Greek surgeon sent to him by Tineus Rufus. While here in Tibur means were still being sought to conciliate differences without appearing to yield to demands of fanatics, affairs in the East took a turn for the worse; a Zealot revolt triumphed in Jerusalem.
An adventurer born of the very dregs of the popel, a fellow named Simon who entitled himself Bar-Kochba, Son of the Star, played the part of firebrand or incendiary mirror in that revolt. I could judge this Simon only by hearsay; I have seen him but once face-to-face, the day a centurion brough me his severed head. Yet I am disposed to grant him that degree of genius which must always be present in one who rises so fast and so high in human affairs; such ascendancy is not gained without at least some crude skill...I believe rather that his untrained mind was of the type which is taken in by its own lies, and that guile in his case went hand in hand with fanaticism...
Severus was quick to grasp that such an elusive enemy could be exterminated, but not conquered; he resigned himself to a war of attrition. The peasants, fired by Simon's enthusiasm, or terrorized by him, made common cause with the Zealots from the start; each rock became a bastion, each vineyard a trench; each tiny farm had to be starved out, or taken by assault. Jerusalem was not recaptured until the thrids year, when last efforts to negotiate proved futile; what little of the Jewish city had been sapred by the destruction under Titus was now wiped out.
...In the Spring of the third year of campaign the army laid siege to the citadel of Bethar, an eagle's nest where Simon and his partisans held out for nearly a yaer against the slow tortures of hunger, thirst, and despair, and where the Son of the Star saw his followers perish one by one but still would not surrender. Our army suffered almost as the rebels, for the latter, on retiring, had burned the forests, laid waste the fields, slaughtered the cattle, and polluted the wells by throwing our dead therein...
...On a cold morning in February, I sat leaning against the trunk of a leafless fig-tree to watch the assault which preceded by only a few hours the capitulation of Bethar. I saw the last defenders of the fortress come out one by one, haggard, emaciated, hideous to view but nevertheless superb, like all that is indomitable...children sneering defiance, already turned fierce and deformed by implacable convictions, boasting loudly of having brought death to dozens of legionaries; old men immured in somnambulistic dreams...On the other hand, the Christianized Jews, whom we had not disturbed and who harbored resentment against the rest of the Hebrews for having persecuted their prophet, saw in us the instrument of divine wrath. The long series of frenzies and misconceptions was thus continuing."

I think one of the reasons that passage struck me was because I, like most people, am really bothered by the stupid, stupid war going on STILL between Jews and Arabs. The same thing that causes people in Iraq every day to blow up themselves and a few other random souls. I also recently had a talk with Nabore that echoed things I heard lots of Japanese people saying: anything that requires you to believe IT to the absolute exclusion of everything else is DANGEROUS. I can definitely see that perspective. I can also see how obvious it is that God is One and therefore Truth is One, and why on earth wouldn't He have ONE set of teachings? But how does one explain that to someone who has only seen the above perspective? The perspective that people who believe their god is the ONLY true one are usually the people who kill other people senselessly and don't get along well with other people, or who refuse to study Greek, or experience wine or friendly sex, etc. etc? How does one explain or justify monotheism in this world? Another question: how does a monotheist ensure that he doesn't BECOME a Simon, or an Iraqi strapping explosives to his body?

5 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger gillian said...

Interesting questions....I've thought about that a lot. At Christmas time I was talking with my mom and sister about certain contemporary political movements that are fueled by righteous indignation—not just that other opinions are wrong, but that those views are contrary to what God himself would want, therefore discussion is closed and all opponents to the ‘right’ way of thinking are headed to the hot place. It looks like the ill effects of religious fanaticism stem from people being more worried about the sins of others than their own. The suicide bombers that kill people seem to think that the ultimate sacrifice they can make is their life, but isn’t it actually their pride? Self sacrifice means relentless love in the face of hardship—and that’s what truly devout people do. Anything else is selfish.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger ryanlb said...

The meaning of self-sacrifice depends on your definition of sacrifice. Many of the suicide bombers believe that it is their duty to kill non-believers (this is probably an over-simplification), so I wouldn't call that pride.

I can also see how obvious it is that God is One and therefore Truth is One, and why on earth wouldn't He have ONE set of teachings? But how does one explain that to someone who has only seen the above perspective?

God does only have only one true set of teachings, but many people aren't willing to beleive that He would condemn people that believed in him just because they weren't of the exactly right religion. And then, remember what Gandalf said, (paraphrase) there are more forces working in this world than [good]. Satan is actively trying to confuse people by creating variations of the truth.

Both the Arabs and Jews believe that God gave that land to them, to the exclusion of all others. To furthur complicate matters both groups belief (I think) stems from their descent from Abraham. For those that believe in the Old Testament there are several passages where God clearly states that he has given the land to the Israelites and commands them to destroy the previous inhabitants of the land. That seems like devinely sanctioned warfare to me - and I assume that the Muslims have similiarly strong motivations (though they may have come from Mohammed, I don't know, but since they consider him to be the greatest of the prophets, it's still strong motivation) - so it doesn't seem likely to me that either group is going to give up, without one or the other accepting the other's beliefs. And how likely do you think that is? When someone else describes their beliefs to you, do you listen out of an interest to see if their beliefs are better than yours? Probably not.

Wow, that was pretty long-winded of you - I mean, me.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jules said...

It's dangerous to believe that just because we have felt divine inspiration, we know the mind of God.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Grandma's Musings said...

Seems to me that this is covered in the 11th Article of Faith as far as we LDS are concerned.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Grandma's Musings said...

Sorry this flags me as "Mom" since I'm not Jonathan's. It's just the way I'm signed in to comment on the Campbell kids' blogs.
J.c.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home